American Progress has an immediate opening for a Press Secretary in the Energy and Environment War Room. The Press Secretary will work closely with American Progress’ Communications team and Energy and Environment policy staff to develop and implement media strategies that promote the Center for American Progress Action Fund’s climate initiatives and amplify personal stories about the importance of strong environmental protections as part of CAP Action’s story bank. The Press Secretary will devise and implement communications plans; work closely with members of the media; provide input on the development of campaigns and products; and work closely with allies in order to advance the Energy and Environment War Room’s goals.
- Work with policy and communications staff to develop press plans for CAP Action’s energy and environment campaigns.
- Expand the Energy and Environment War Room’s reach in state, local, and regional media.
- Pitch reporters on covering CAP Action’s climate campaigns as well as its energy and environment storytellers.
- Develop and implement editorial board strategies, including the drafting and placement of op-eds for environment storytellers.
- Help develop social media strategies and products that will deliver CAPAF’s work to audiences outside of traditional media.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of three years of experience in media or communications.
- On-the-record spokesperson experience is preferred.
- Interest in energy and environmental policy issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask and to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong entrepreneurial, problem-solving, and creative-thinking skills.
- Working knowledge of American Progress’ issues.
- Nonprofit work experience is a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of WordPress, Cision, Microsoft Word, and Excel is a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.