American Progress has an immediate opening for a Special Assistant to support the Education Policy team. The Special Assistant assists the Vice President of Education Policy, the Managing Director of K-12 Education Policy, and the policy staff, helping with scheduling, event coordination, and research support as needed. This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible self-starter whom the policy staff can rely on to work independently and deliver high-quality administrative and research support.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences as needed.
- Provide logistical support for all-staff meetings, public events, and conferences.
- Research and maintain records of press coverage for the Education team’s work.
- Create, organize, and maintain accurate written and electronic files.
- Coordinate staff and visitor travel.
- Process invoices and other administrative forms.
- Occasionally draft and edit letters, invitations, op-eds, blogs, memos, and other documents.
- Provide research support as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.
- Superb research and writing ability.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and multitask.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the team’s overall administrative organization and to seek direction as needed.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated interest in education policy issues.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.