American Progress has an immediate opening for an Economist or Senior Economist to join a team that analyzes the effects of existing economic policy and develops progressive alternatives. We are looking for someone who is widely experienced in a range of fields and has in-depth expertise in relevant subject matter areas, such as labor economics; innovation and growth; income distribution; public economics; and industrial organization. This person will conduct research, help to maintain quality control for the work of colleagues at American Progress, consult on commissioned work, and serve as a spokesperson on broader economic issues.
- Support and conduct original research and analysis of economic policy issues.
- Research the economic aspects of legislative and administrative policy.
- Develop, implement, and manage the production and distribution of policy portfolios and products.
- Assist in the coordination and planning of meetings and events.
- Draft articles, papers, charts, tables, and graphs of economic data.
- Maintain expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Manage and supervise staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Good writing and research skills.
- Ability to understand economic issues and to communicate them effectively.
- Ability to work well within a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfort working under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multitask.
- Proven ability to manage consultative process.
- Effective supervisory skills and the ability to manage and mentor staff.
- Advanced degree in economics or closely related field, Ph.D. preferred.
- At least five years of professional experience is preferred for the Economist position; at least seven years of professional experience is desired for the Senior Economist position.
- Nonprofit—with both 501 (c)(3) and 501 (c)(4) organizations—and think tank experience are a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.