American Progress has an immediate opening for a Communications Director for Generation Progress. Generation Progress is American Progress’ dynamic effort to help young people make their voices heard on key issues and to empower new generations of progressive leaders. Generation Progress engages in advocacy and engagement on issues including affordable higher education, gun violence prevention, criminal justice reform, health care, and voting rights. The Communications Director will manage the team’s communications project and workflows, ensure an integrated communications strategy, design shareable graphics, and oversee many of the team’s communications processes.
- Manage a staff of three as well as the workflow of Generation Progress’ internal and external communications projects, in addition to managing interns each semester.
- Design shareable graphics for social media, event collateral such as flyers, and products using tools such as Canva and Adobe InDesign and Photoshop.
- Manage strategy and content for Generation Progress’ social media properties, including paid digital advertising.
- Ensure integrated external communications strategy that covers earned, digital, and social media avenues, as well as an internal communications strategy that integrates the work of Generation Progress’ policy; digital and earned media; and action and advocacy teams.
- Oversee and contribute to the editorial process and calendar, including writing, editing, and managing blog posts, policy products, and toolkits.
- Oversee and contribute to email strategy and calendar, including writing, designing, and planning email blasts.
- Oversee and contribute to earned media strategy, including writing, planning, and pitching op-eds, statements, and talking points.
- Assist young people with communications projects in various Generation Progress networks and advise on communications strategy.
- Ensure that Generation Progress’ projects and priorities are effectively communicated within American Progress and the larger progressive community via internal and external meetings, Listservs, and other platforms.
- Brainstorm and implement innovative digital strategies that further the reach of Generation Progress’ brand and campaigns.
- Manage the flow of personal stories from collection in a story bank to implementation via digital, earned media, policy, or other methods.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least three years of progressive advocacy, policy, or communications experience.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with graphic design and platforms such as Adobe InDesign and Photoshop.
- Experience building and growing email campaigns, including experience with platforms such as EveryAction.
- Ability to initiate and engage in creative approaches to advancing policy through multiple communications platforms.
- Ability to work well both autonomously and within a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfort working under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Ability to multitask.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively with lay audiences and the media.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.