American Progress is looking for a versatile and creative Art Director to manage and work within the Art team. The Art Director is responsible for extending a consistent brand identity across all products and platforms. The organization is seeking a talented, experienced designer who enjoys hands-on work with rich material in a deadline-driven, journalistic environment. The Art Director also plays an important leadership role by managing a small in-house design team and by communicating effectively about design issues at the highest levels of the organization.
The Art Director manages a team that creates reports, interactive media, infographics, websites, social graphics, video graphics, annual reports, event materials, books, and special projects. Much of the content produced by the Art team is rapid-response, requiring tight turnarounds and creative problem-solving.
The Art Director will help American Progress communicate progressive ideas and arguments through clear, visually compelling design. The right candidate will be able to bridge print- and web-centric worlds and evolve American Progress’ portfolio. The Art Director will serve as the point person for the Art team and will be responsible for managing design requests, project workflow, and hands-on creation of materials.
- Manage day-to-day project workflow for team.
- Collaborate with teams to brainstorm products and to interpret hard data and policy ideas in order to suit a variety of digital and print media needs, including infographics and web interactives.
- Manage, lay out, and produce reports, briefs, charts, graphs, maps, data visualizations, and other publications, often with photos and graphics.
- Create social media share graphics for education and advocacy.
- Manage various contracts—including invoices and payments—with vendors, photo services, printers, and other contractors and ensure that all materials meet American Progress’ standards and arrive on schedule.
- Develop and extend American Progress’ visual brand on strategic and tactical levels.
- Collaborate with web, email, and social media teams, as well as partners and outside designers and developers, on visual branding across a wide range of online media.
- Update the design and templates of American Progress’ print and web products.
- Manage and mentor design team.
- Hire and train creative staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Advanced interpersonal skills and the ability to lead a team.
- Ability to communicate design decisions to lay audiences.
- Strong desire and ability to train design team on new processes and procedures in keeping with current technologies in web and print work.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in graphic design or a related major, as well as at least six years of professional design experience.
- A strong portfolio of design work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Highly creative.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in policy, journalism, and/or nonprofits is a plus.
- High-level experience with Adobe Creative Cloud—Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop—in a Mac environment, as well as with the Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong understanding of HTML and CSS for cross-team web and interactive collaborations.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
Not required but highly desirable:
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.