The special assistant will provide the senior vice president for Communications and Strategy as well as the Press staff with logistical and administrative support. This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible self-starter whom the Press staff can rely on to work independently and deliver high-quality reporting and administrative support.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences, and coordinate staff and visitor travel.
- Research and maintain records of press coverage and other important metrics for the organization’s work.
- Create, organize, and maintain accurate written and electronic files and databases.
- Process invoices and other administrative forms.
- Occasionally draft and/or edit letters, invitations, briefing materials, and other documents.
- Manage Press interns.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as oral and written communication skills.
- Prior work experience. Summer jobs, internships, or part-time work may be sufficient.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and multitask.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the team’s overall administrative organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- A deep interest in communications.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.