American Progress is seeking an energetic video editor to join its in-house video team, working across the organization to amplify progressive ideas and fight back against conservative policies. The video editor will have a knack for sourcing and combining footage from multiple sources—news clips, still images, text, HD and 4K, etc.—into short, punchy videos that move people to action. The ideal person will be a voracious consumer of current events, eager to pitch ideas, and be comfortable with fast-moving, rapid-response projects. The right candidate will also periodically work on longer-form explainer and documentary-style videos. The video editor will also be responsible for livestreaming and archiving American Progress’ live events programs. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with one to two years of video editing and shooting experience who wants to work to make a free, fair, and equitable America for all.
- Work with the video director to produce videos for a range of audiences and digital platforms.
- Act as primary camera operator and post-production producer for American Progress’ live events, and clip event excerpts in coordination with video and social media directors and policy teams.
- Inventory and manage equipment and gear and help ensure a clean and organized studio.
- Keep up to date with new trends and best practices in digital visual storytelling and editing, and work to incorporate them into new products.
- Stay up to date on current events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud, especially Adobe Premiere. Adobe After Effects is a plus.
- Familiarity with different social media platforms and how to create video products tailored to those audiences.
- Excellent organization and communications skills and a track record for on-time delivery with tight deadlines.
- Experience shooting with multiple cameras and formats is preferred.
- Good sense of graphic design and knowledge of fonts.
- Adept at juggling and quickly switching between organizational tasks and creative duties.
- Ability to work independently once direction has been given.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment with no creative boundaries and where no two projects are the same.
- A strong interest in current events and progressive issues.
- One to two years of experience as a videographer or editor, in addition to general video production experience; one to two years’ experience with editing and motion graphics software.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in film production, journalism, or communications is preferred.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and/or 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
Please submit a resume and links to a demo reel and/or two to three videos you have worked on with explanations of your role in each production. Applicants who do not provide links to portfolio work will not be considered.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.