American Progress has an immediate opening for a legal analyst to evaluate the legality of actions taken by the Trump administration, generate creative theories for legal challenges, and conduct legal research for partners bringing litigation. The ability to learn an array of legal and policy issue areas is a must. This person will work under the guidance of the CAP Forward director of legal policy. The ideal candidate should have legal research experience and the ability to analyze financial records and federal laws, regulations, and executive actions.
- Generate ideas for legal complaints, referrals for investigations, and claims.
- Identify state and federal laws that provide private rights of action.
- Track the rulemaking process and identify potential legal challenges.
- Draft memos outlining findings for leadership review.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- J.D. required.
- At least two years of experience conducting legal research.
- Understands how to effectively use Westlaw/LexisNexis, Public Access to Court Electronic Records, and CourtLink.
- Adept at searching the Congressional Record, court filings, and government records.
- Strong understanding of national politics.
- Superb research and writing ability.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.