ThinkProgress has an immediate opening for a hybrid newsroom position: a researcher who writes news articles or a reporter/writer who has a strong background in research. The position would help fact-check our investigative and enterprise reporting, as well as contribute news writing to the site. The successful candidate would demonstrate an abiding interest and concern with factual accuracy and a grasp of the tenets of good journalism.
ThinkProgress is a news site driven by progressive values and dedicated to providing readers with rigorous reporting and analysis from that perspective.
- Write news stories for ThinkProgress.
- Help reporters and editors with research tasks for reporting projects and ThinkProgress stories.
- Fact-check investigative and enterprise reporting.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Experience reading and analyzing original source material, including but not limited to financial documents, databases, and government records.
- Experience fact-checking.
- An ability to write quickly, clearly, and for the ThinkProgress audience.
Candidates who would excel in this position:
- Are self-motivated but work well with others.
- Can juggle more than one piece of reporting or project at a time.
- Communicate well with their editor.
- Are eager to learn new skills and engage in new areas of expertise.
- Care about the news.
This position is not for candidates who:
- Struggle to manage their time.
- Are disorganized.
- Gloss over details or glaze over when processing a litany of facts.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by WGA East.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.