Research Assistant or Associate, Sustainable Security and Peacebuilding
Reports to: Executive Director, Sustainable Security and Peacebuilding
Department: National Security Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
The Research Assistant or Associate for the Sustainable Security Initiative is responsible for substantive research and writing on issues related to international development and peacebuilding, including efforts to reform development assistance, foster conflict prevention, and modernize the architecture of foreign policy and development assistance. The position is also expected to provide support on a range of issues within American Progress' National Security and International Policy team for senior fellows as needed, including on Latin America issues. Additionally, the position requires some administrative work related to the project’s operations and for the National Security and International Policy team at large. These tasks include budgeting, reimbursement management, event and meeting coordination, travel arrangements, and serving as the team contact point for the rest of the organization.
- Support and conduct original research and analysis related to international development and conflict, including conducting literature reviews; drafting talking points, columns, papers, charts, and tables; occasional data crunching; and proofreading, fact-checking, and editing documents.
- Maintain expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Develop and coordinate high-level meetings and public events.
- Perform administrative duties, including team finance management.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, international affairs, peacebuilding, political science, or a related field; nonprofit experience preferred.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Working knowledge of international development required.
- Ability to understand assigned issues, communicate them effectively to a lay audience through multiple formats, and engage with policy experts in a professional manner.
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
- Minimum of one to three years of relevant work experience.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.