Generation Progress has an immediate opening for an Organizing Associate. This position requires efficiently managing a large workflow of diverse projects. Applicants should enjoy detail-oriented work and troubleshooting and should also be able to adeptly build and manage organizing relationships across a broad coalition.
Generation Progress is the youth advocacy and engagement arm of American Progress. Through field advocacy, journalism, and policy analysis, Generation Progress works with and for Millennials to achieve progressive change. This position will work primarily on the advocacy efforts of the #Fight4AFuture campaign—a nationwide campaign that looks at gun violence and criminal justice through a holistic lens and drives forward solutions that speak to our generation. Young people are shot and incarcerated at rates higher than any generation. This position will take an intersectional approach to addressing these issues. Instead of simply looking at gun violence prevention policies in a vacuum, this person will address contributing systemic factors—such as structural racism and poverty—and their policy solutions in a way that does not perpetuate the cycle of violence.
- Plan, oversee, and execute a national campaign focused on gun violence prevention and criminal justice reform.
- Engage and grow a national network of young activists who are committed to preventing gun violence and reforming the criminal justice system.
- Build and manage relationships with young activists, elected officials, progressive organizations, and other stakeholders.
- Drive and focus events and activities across a range of progressive organizations, advocacy groups, and other stakeholders. This may mean organizing a series of events or providing support to partner organizations that are organizing events or actions that further the goals of the campaign.
- Write short-form policy pieces, op-eds, and blogs that address gun violence and criminal justice issues through a Millennial lens.
- Assist with the development of supporting online materials, such as toolkits and event guides, to further organizing efforts nationwide.
- Develop training materials and give trainings as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two years or two cycles of organizing experience.
- A strong, entrepreneurial self-starter with the motivation to develop creative tactics to prevent gun violence and reform the criminal justice system.
- Strong organizational and project-management skills.
- Strong relationship-building skills, including experience managing or participating in coalition work.
- Proven ability to work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with nonprofit advocacy or campaigns.
- Commitment to gun violence prevention and criminal justice reform.
- Willingness to be a team player, and pitch in on various projects, when necessary.
- Cultural competence and earnest commitment to working with and for underrepresented communities.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.