Leon V. Sigal
Leon V. Sigal is director of the Northeast Asia Cooperative Security Project at the Social Science Research Council in New York. His book, Disarming Strangers: Nuclear Diplomacy with North Korea, was one of five nominees for the Lionel Gelber Prize as the most outstanding book in the field of international relations for 1997-98 and was named 1998 book of distinction on the practice of American diplomacy by the American Academy of Diplomacy. His most recent book, Hang Separately: Cooperative Security Between the United States and Russia, 1985-1994, was published by the Century Foundation in 2000. Mr. Sigal was a member of the editorial board of The New York Times from 1989 until 1995.
In 1979 he served as international affairs fellow in the Bureau of Politico-Military Affairs at the Department of State and in 1980 as special assistant to the Director. He was a Rockefeller Younger scholar in Foreign Policy Studies at the Brookings Institution from 1972-1974 and a guest scholar there in 1981-1984. From 1974 to 1989 he taught international politics at Wesleyan University as a professor of government. He was an adjunct professor at Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs from 1985 to 1989 and from 1996 to 2000, and visiting lecturer at Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School in 1988 and 2000.
- Negotiating Minefields: The Landmines Ban in American Politics. Routledge; 2006.
- Hang Separately: Cooperative Security Between the United States and Russia, 1985-1994. Brookings Institute Press; 2000.
- Disarming Strangers. Princeton University Press; 1999.
- Fighting to a Finish: The Politics of War Termination in the United States and Japan, 1945. Cornell University Press; 1989.
- Sigal, Leon V. "Nuclear North Korea: A Debate on Engagement Strategies." Korean Studies. Vol. 29, pg. 170-173. January 1st, 2005.
- Sigal, Leon V. "Negotiating with the North: China, Japan, South Korea, and Russia are all doing their part. Now the United States needs to get down to business." Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. Pg. 19-25. November 2003.
- Sigal, Leon V. "Verifying a Missile accord with North Korea." Verification Yearbook. Pg. 111-128. 2002.
- Sigal, Leon V. "North Korea on hold . . . again." Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. Vol. 57, No. 3, pg. 32-39. May 2001.
Appearances: CNN, ABC News