Designer/Data Visualization Producer
Reports to: Art Director
Department: Art and Editorial
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress is looking for a versatile and creative Designer and Data Visualization Producer for a position in the Art Department. The Designer will create dynamic and static media to visualize trends, numbers, ideas, demographic changes, and comparative data. The Designer/Data Visualization Producer will work as part of a team that publishes reports, infographics, web graphics, interactive media, and videos and manages American Progress websites, marketing material, and email campaigns. The Designer will help American Progress communicate progressive ideas and arguments through clear, compelling infographics; graphs and charts; maps; data visualizations; and other interactive media. Candidates should have excellent technical and design skills but also a strong sense of visual storytelling.
- Design charts, graphs, and infographics that will serve as explainers to help communicate highlights and key information from our reports and articles.
- Collaborate with policy teams to communicate ideas and goals by creating interactive and non-interactive data visualizations.
- Create maps to visualize various data sets.
- Find and create tools to allow other staff to create their own infographics and interactive media more easily.
- Develop graphics for web and video.
- Collaborate with video producer on projects to integrate video and interactive media.
- Assist with various web and email design projects.
- Work with the Editorial team to assist with other large-scale print design projects such as books, annual reports, and conference materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in graphic design or visual journalism, or at least two years’ professional design experience.
- Highly creative, excellent written and verbal communications skills, and attentive to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with HTML5 graphics and rendering (such as Raphael and D3) is a plus.
- Experience with Tilemill is a plus.
- High-level experience with Adobe CC (including InDesign and Illustrator) in a Mac OS X environment.
- Journalism background a plus.
- Web design experience a plus, especially designing with web standards.
- Solid understanding of statistics a plus. Committed to organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you may write to: Center for American Progress 1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.