Special Assistant, Development
Reports to: Associate Director of Development Operations
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
The Special Assistant for Development assists the Development team at American Progress in raising funds to meet annual goals. The Special Assistant’s responsibilities include managing day-to-day programs and operations, including gift entry, reporting, and acknowledgement; support for one or more of the Development team’s three fundraising channels and administrative duties for the team, including being the first line scheduling meetings, expense reporting, and organizing other special events as needed. This position is ideal for someone who is interested in exploring a career in nonprofit fundraising.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the Development team.
- Collect daily donations received by the Development team and other departments; evaluate and update database daily with accurate receipt of contributions. Create weekly reports to share with leadership and Development team.
- Assist Development Assistant in balancing gift accounts with Finance.
- Produce gift receipts and acknowledgement letters for all gifts received in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Field incoming phone calls for the Development team and the Managing Director. Appropriately direct donor inquiries to members of the team.
- Maintain current and prospective donor records for the Development team and assist with prospect research.
- Schedule and organize appointments and meetings for the Managing Director, including—but not limited to—sending invitations, making travel arrangements, preparing meeting materials, and reporting on internal meetings.
- Maintain the Managing Director’s expense records, arranging reimbursements, and processing invoices for the Development team.
- Maintain the Development team’s shared calendar, schedule weekly team meetings, and order supplies for the team.
- Train, supervise, and manage interns, when appropriate and necessary.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Requirements and qualifications:
- B.A./B.S. or equivalent work experience. Experience in both fundraising and scheduling for a senior professional a plus.
- Data entry experience. Proficiency in Salesforce a plus.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Must support the mission of American Progress and be committed to a broad progressive agenda.
- Excellent people skills.
- Detail oriented with exceptional organizational skills.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexible and willing to learn.
- Ability to follow instructions and ask clarifying questions.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and work as a member of a team.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you may write to: Center for American Progress 1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.