Policy Manager, Generation Progress
Reports to: Policy Director, Generation Progress
Department: Generation Progress
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, Full-Time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Policy Manager within the Generation Progress team. This person would help lead the development of and strategy around policy recommendations that better the lives of Millennials. The work will be focused within the broad domestic areas of economic justice, human rights, and democracy.
- Work in concert with the policy director to guide daily work of the policy advocates.
- Manage and conduct research on both policy proposals and political dynamics.
- Manage and edit coalition letters on legislative priorities and policy principles.
- Manage and edit talking points and fact sheets on policy initiatives.
- Write and edit columns, briefs, and reports to be published on Center for American Progress and Generation Progress websites.
- Create products that make data and policy recommendations more accessible and understandable to non-policy experts.
- Interact formally and build relationships with:
- Media and news outlets in order to grow knowledge of Generation Progress campaigns through press calls, interviews, and background materials.
- Policy experts and think tanks in order to expand policy expertise and solicit feedback on policy proposals.
- Coalitions and ally organizations in order to build campaign power and advocate for Generation Progress priorities.
- Policymakers from Congress and the executive branch in order to aid the progression of Generation Progress priorities from concept to reality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills.
- Experience working in or with the legislative and/or executive branch.
- Previous work in higher education and/or progressive economics.
- Strong ability to work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Desire to continuously keep learning in order to make better policy recommendations and analysis.
- Proven ability in strengthening relationships strategically with partner organizations in a coalition environment.
- Knowledge of the progressive youth landscape is beneficial.
- Intersectional analysis of and approach to policy issues affecting Millennials is beneficial.
- Campaign experience (issue or electoral) is beneficial.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.