Media Relations Specialist, Enough Project
Reports to: Communications Director, Enough Project
Department: Enough Project
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
Enough, a project of the Center for American Progress that works to prevent genocide and crimes against humanity, seeks a Media Relations Specialist. The Media Relations Specialist will be responsible for providing support for media relations, communications, marketing, promotion, project management, and administrative tasks.
- Work directly with the Communications Director to assist with an array of media relations and communications activities.
- Collaborate with multiple cross-division teams to help manage, support, implement, track, and report on multilayered, integrated communications, marketing, policy, and advocacy programs and campaigns.
- Support and service communications needs of development, fundraising campaigns, and other core organizational programs.
- Conceive and pitch original stories, reports, and content to major media worldwide.
- Draft, copyedit, format, and distribute press releases and media advisories.
- Edit and proofread op-eds, articles, reports, profiles, blogs, and emails.
- Help develop, manage, and maintain media contact lists.
- Monitor and report on earned media.
- Manage, develop, and grow engagement on websites, Facebook, Twitter, and other digital platforms.
- Manage and coordinate communications projects, including website and multimedia or digital platform development.
- Develop and maintain digital press kits and other communication tools.
- Ensure the usage and integrity of Enough’s brand by observing visual and descriptive standards.
- Assist with data entry and provide general office support.
- Recruit interns and manage intern projects.
- Assist with research, analysis, tactics, tools, and planning to help Enough better communicate with key constituencies, especially human rights advocates, journalists, and policymakers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least three to five years of experience working in a professional media relations capacity.
- Superior writing, copyediting, and proofreading skills.
- Superior administrative, information-management, and organizational skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively in teams and manage conflict constructively.
- Experience engaging with producers, editors, journalists, and leading outlets across print, radio, TV, and online.
- Experience using Vocus and other communications and media relations tools.
- Experience with WordPress, Drupal, or other website and content management systems.
- Experience with formats, tools, most-current tactics, and best practices for social media in today’s global media landscape, including Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Storify, Thunderclap, blogs, and other multimedia formats and digital platforms.
- Experience executing day-to-day social media activity, including use of Hootsuite.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Photoshop.
- Ability to handle a fast-paced environment and multiple projects while meeting expected deadlines.
- Superb organization skills, including the ability to track and manage numerous tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to rapidly master new services and technology tools related to communications, media relations, campaigns, and analytics.
- Graphic design or video editing skills are a plus.
- Good humor and general problem-solving skills.
- International experience and foreign language skills are a plus.
- Committed to Enough’s missions and goals.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.