Research Assistant/Associate, Immigration Policy
Reports to: Vice President for Immigration Policy
Department: Immigration Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Immigration Policy Research Assistant/Associate. The ideal candidate will have a background in U.S. immigration policy and strong research and writing skills. The job will entail conducting and assisting with research on all aspects of U.S. immigration policy. Applicants should be comfortable with synthesizing large amounts of information and data into concise overviews; compiling literature reviews; writing reports, columns, and blog posts; and editing for clarity and content. Spanish language skills are a plus.
- Conduct and support research and analysis on a range of immigration issues and policies, including compiling and summarizing information; drafting talking points; and proofreading, fact-checking, and editing documents.
- Original writing and support in the development of reports, issue briefs, columns, and blog posts.
- Represent the team at coalition meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two to three years of professional experience in immigration policy or related fields.
- Excellent writing, research, and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and empirical skills. Quantitative skills are not required but are a plus.
- Ability to understand assigned issues and communicate them effectively to a lay audience.
- Ability to multitask and work well under tight deadlines.
- Ability to initiate projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work well on a team.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
- Spanish-language written, reading, and spoken proficiency a plus.
- Nonprofit, both 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) organizations, and think-tank experience a plus.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.