Policy Outreach Manager, Washington Center for Equitable Growth
Reports to: Senior Director for Policy and Academic Programs
Department: Washington Center for Equitable Growth
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
The recently launched Washington Center for Equitable Growth, housed at the Center for American Progress, is a new, independent, and nonpartisan research and education project that seeks to generate policy-relevant answers to one of the most pressing questions facing America: How can our nation achieve more equitable economic growth? The Policy Outreach Manager will use Equitable Growth’s cutting-edge research to change the conventional wisdom on Capitol Hill and beyond. He or she will work with the Senior Director for Policy and Academic Programs to create, coordinate, and manage relationships, alliances, and partnerships with policymakers and advocates on a range of economic policy issues related to the Equitable Growth mission. The right candidate will be skilled at cultivating relationships, an extraordinary advocate, a highly organized administrator, an excellent problem solver, and passionate about our mission.
- Create, coordinate, and manage outreach with policymakers—including Hill, agency, and White House staff—and advocates on select economic policy issues.
- Develop and implement strategies for translating policymakers’ and advocates’ needs into an academic research agenda, in collaboration with Equitable Growth’s Academic Programs and Research teams.
- Develop and implement strategies for translating academic research on inequality and growth into a policy-relevant narrative, in collaboration with Equitable Growth’s Academic Programs and Research teams.
- Help develop other community-building platforms for policy outreach.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least three to six years of relevant work experience and/or a graduate degree in public policy, economics, or another applicable social science.
- Extraordinary advocacy skills, with a track record of cultivating productive relationships and influencing key stakeholders.
- Familiarity with a broad range of economic policy issues.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly organized, with strong administrative skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work well on a team and operate under tight deadlines in a fast-paced, high-pressure, start-up environment.
- An ability to translate effectively between academics and policymakers.
- Commitment to Equitable Growth’s mission and goals.
- Background in economics or economic policy issues strongly preferred.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.