Vice President, Government Affairs
Reports to: Executive Vice President, External Affairs
Department: External Affairs
Staff reporting to this position: Government Affairs team
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress is seeking a candidate for the position of Vice President of Government Affairs. This position—which is part of American Progress’s External Affairs team—has principal responsibility for managing American Progress’s relationships with the executive branch, elected officials, and their staffs. The External Affairs department works to promote progressive policies and ideas among members of Congress; state, local, and regional organizations and elected officials; and advocacy organizations and think tanks.
- Working with American Progress’s executive and senior leadership team, develop and implement a comprehensive outreach strategy to administration officials, members of Congress, governors, and staff to advance American Progress’s policy priorities.
- Represent American Progress with the administration, members of Congress, governors, and staff, including establishing and maintaining relationships with officials at all levels of government and their staff.
- Track and report to the executive and senior management teams on legislative, policy, and political developments in the administration, Congress, and with governors that affect the work of American Progress.
- Assist policy shops in crafting and timing policy reports and rapid-response documents in a manner that makes them more likely to be relevant to the administration, elected officials, and their staff.
- Actively identify and pursue opportunities to promote the American Progress President, executive team members, and policy staff as expert witnesses for congressional hearings and meetings.
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to Congress, and respond to requests for information from staff.
- Drive process for reporting policy impact of outreach activities.
- Coordinate outreach activities with the CAP Action Fund War Room to maximize impact.
- Advance American Progress’s policy priorities at the legislative, executive, state, and local levels by working with Congress, administration and agency officials, and other elected officials and their staffs to drive and implement American Progress’s policy ideas into regulations and legislation.
- Ensure that the administration, elected officials, and their staff consider American Progress as a resource when they consider the development of legislative language on issues in which American Progress has expertise.
- Oversee and manage the Government Affairs team to initiate and coordinate outreach to the executive and legislative branches and state agencies.
Requirements and qualifications:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience working in an administration, congressional office, or the office of a state elected official or comparable experience.
- Familiarity with federal, state, and local governments.
- Understanding of federal, state, and local policy issues.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations a plus.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Commitment to American Progress mission and goals.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.