Managing Director, Administration
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Finance and Administration
Staff reporting to this position: Director of Administration and Operations, Director of Human Resources, and Director of Internship Program
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
The Managing Director will supervise and manage day-to-day activities for the Administration team, which include office management, human resources, the internship program, and reception. The Managing Director will assist the Senior Vice President, or SVP, for Finance and Administration in guiding long-term strategic planning, as well as the planning and implementation of projects throughout the organization. A key responsibility of the position is developing and articulating an effective management structure for the team.
- Work with the SVP for Finance and Administration to set the strategic direction of the Administration team.
- Identify staffing needs; supervise and manage Administration team to ensure efficient operations.
- Develop Administration team goals and objectives.
- Oversee the Administration and overhead budgets.
- Provide leadership and oversight to the internship program.
- Use critical judgment to assist in closely adhering to legal and regulatory requirements.
- Manage all commercial insurance policies, including renewals and claims.
- Assist the SVP for Finance and Administration and other senior staff in conducting research and assisting in various projects.
- Serve as liaison with American Progress senior management.
- Work in concert with the SVP for Finance and Administration to plan for office moves and reconfigurations as necessary for 300-plus staff, contractors, and interns.
- Represent American Progress with building owners and management.
- Provide support and guidance to the human resources functions, including recruitment, salary and benefit structure, staff departures, etc.
- Serve as point of contact for employee-relations issues in concert with the General Counsel and SVP of Finance and Administration.
- Manage performance evaluation process for all staff.
- Oversee employee and consultant/contractor on-boarding; work with Information Technology, Administration, Legal, and Editorial departments to coordinate incoming staff to ensure that workspaces, equipment and user accounts, and website postings are prepared and executed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 7–10 years of human resources and/or organizational development experience.
- Experience developing team structures and strategic vision.
- Proven leadership experience.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and sense of humor.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations a plus.
- Strong commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.