Advocacy Associate, Generation Progress
Reports to: Executive Director, Generation Progress
Department: Generation Progress
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, Full-time
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Advocacy Associate working for Generation Progress. Generation Progress is the organization’s fast-growing, dynamic effort to help young people make their voices heard and empower the next generation of progressive leaders. Through programs in policy, organizing, and communications, Generation Progress engages a diverse group of young people nationwide and inspires them to embrace progressive values and work for positive change. The Advocacy Associate works to advance progressive policies at the national, state, and local level through research, writing, speaking, organizing, and work with the media, Congress, and the executive branch. The Advocacy Associate works on one or more of our key national issue areas. These issue areas currently include college affordability; student debt; youth employment; health care; climate change; lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender, or LGBT, rights; gun violence prevention; campus sexual assault prevention; and immigration.
- Advance Generation Progress’ national advocacy efforts by:
- Working with the policy and communications teams to produce and distribute issue analyses, policy proposals, blog posts, fact sheets, action alerts, campaign messages, campaign strategies, advertising, and other creative material.
- Organizing Millennials at the grassroots level by planning and executing substantive events, rallies, meetings with legislators, and other local efforts.
- Represent Generation Progress in partnerships and coalitions.
- Help coordinate Generation Progress advocacy with American Progress’ advocacy efforts.
- Advance Generation Progress’ Action Network program by:
- Organizing young activists focused on our issue campaigns.
- Providing training, guidance, and support to Action Network members.
- Tracking and analyzing the progress of the Action Networks.
- Assist with preparing Generation Progress promotional materials, fundraising materials, and other communications about Generation Progress.
- Participate in planning and implementing Generation Progress conferences and events, including Make Progress, Action Network Summits, and local events.
- Assist with day-to-day programmatic and administrative work.
- Supervises interns.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Exceptionally strong writing, research, and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Good judgment.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Experience with issue advocacy and activism.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Generation Progress.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Campaign, nonprofit, or youth-sector experience.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.