Field Director, Generation Progress
Reports to: Executive Director, Generation Progress
Department: Generation Progress
Staff reporting to this position: Advocacy Associates
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Field Director for Generation Progress. Generation Progress is American Progress’s dynamic effort to help young people make their voices heard on key issues and to empower new generations of progressive leaders. Generation Progress engages in policy, advocacy, and communications on issues including affordable education, student debt, LGBT rights, immigration reform, climate change, gun-violence prevention, and voting rights.
This senior-level staff position is part of Generation Progress’s leadership team, supervises advocacy staff, and directs all field programs within the issue campaigns. This position requires a passion for leadership development, progressive policy change, the ability to work in coalition with other progressive organizations, and strategic planning, implementation, and follow-up.
- Develop and implement a field strategy to engage and empower young organizers, activists, and alumni though individual actions, events, trainings, summits, and online activities for issue campaigns.
- Support and develop meaningful relationships with state and national youth-led organizations working on similar issue campaigns and youth empowerment.
- Develop campaign plans, benchmarks, and metrics for reporting on campaign actions and field activities.
- Track and report progress toward goals.
- Manage advocacy staff and interns within a creative and entrepreneurial environment.
- Work with Generation Progress’s Policy and Communications Directors, relevant campaign managers, and Executive Director to plan and implement winning campaigns.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- At least five years of professional organizing experience.
- A commitment to the mission and vision of Generation Progress.
- A strong, entrepreneurial self-starter with the motivation to develop creative tactics to engage and empower the Millennial generation.
- Experience in developing and managing field programs, either within issue or electoral campaigns.
- Experience in youth organizing and engagement.
- Strong organizational and project-management skills.
- Strong relationship-building skills, including experience managing or participating in coalition work.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.