Field Research Consultant, Juba
Reports to: Sudan and South Sudan Policy Analyst
Department: Enough Project
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Consultant, six months with possibility to extend
Enough, a project of the Center for American Progress, has an immediate opening for a Senior Field Research Consultant to do research on the crisis in Sudan and South Sudan. The senior consultant will be based in South Sudan and will provide research and analysis on the political and security situation there. The consultant will provide analysis to corroborate and contextualize information obtained through the Satellite Sentinel Project and other sources of information. The consultant will provide input on policy recommendations and advocacy as led by the team at Enough’s headquarters in Washington, D.C.
- Conduct field research, provide analysis, and propose policy initiatives for the relevant actors to help prevent crimes against humanity in Sudan and South Sudan.
- Travel to remote areas to corroborate field reports and information obtained through satellite imagery; provide written reports on the implications of political, security, and humanitarian developments in Sudan and South Sudan, as well as on their policy implications.
- Cultivate a broad network of contacts—including government officials, security forces, diplomats, aid workers, and civil society representatives in Sudan, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Uganda, and Kenya—to inform Enough’s analysis of the situation in the two Sudans.
- Draft strategy papers and other policy documents and briefings on a regular basis, drawing from relevant research findings and policy recommendations.
- Provide input on a variety of products—reports, op-eds, and articles—pertaining to the crisis in Sudan and South Sudan.
- Help facilitate field travel for Enough’s D.C.-based staff and assist media trips as needed.
- Contribute regular content to the Enough blog that is dynamic, original, thoroughly grounded in policy expertise, and accessible to a broad audience.
- Contribute other content to Enough’s website, including podcasts, audio clips, and other appropriate media.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Experience conducting field research in Sudan or South Sudan, with a minimum of five-years field experience in the region.
- Experience conducting political and security analysis.
- In-depth knowledge of and extensive contacts with government and nongovernment officials, the media, and academia working in the region.
- Academic background or work experience in human rights, the prevention of atrocities, conflict prevention and resolution, and the responsibility to protect.
- Strong writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Adept team player with good interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to the organization’s missions and goals.
- University degree (master’s preferred) and relevant work experience conducting research in international relations, political science, or a related field.
- Good understanding of the policymaking process and the link between activism and policy.
- Strong desire to live and work overseas in war-affected environments.
- Terms dependent on experience, but please note that this is a consultancy, and all benefits and insurance are the consultant’s responsibility.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com. Or you may write to: Center for American Progress 1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.