Associate Director of Media Relations
Reports to: Vice President, Communications
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Associate Director of Media Relations. This person will work as a senior member of the Communications team and work closely with policy staff to develop and implement a communications plan and press roll-out plans for American Progress initiatives. He or she will also work with other members of the Communications team to facilitate op-ed placement and television and radio bookings.
- Develop and implement a communications plan for American Progress’s policy work.
- Work with policy staff to develop specific press plans for American Progress work.
- Develop and implement editorial board strategies, including the drafting and placement of op-eds.
- Develop strategies to place American Progress work in state and local news outlets.
- Pitch reporters on covering American Progress initiatives.
- Work closely with ethnic media communications staff to reach Spanish language audiences.
- Help develop social-media strategy and products that will get American Progress work to audiences outside of traditional media.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of five years experience in media and/or communications. On-the-record spokesperson experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Entrepreneurial; strong problem-solving and creative thinking skills.
- Working knowledge of American Progress issues.
- Nonprofit work experience a plus.
- Ability to build, motivate, and work within a team to accomplish project goals.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.