Reports to: Director of Information Technology
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
As Web Designer for American Progress, you will lead the design phase on web projects, working alongside developers and driving product vision. You will meet with product owners to gather, analyze, and validate requests and business goals, perform research and explore new concepts, create brand and interface components, and conduct user testing. Our team moves fast, iterates quickly, and releases often, so you should thrive on collaboration and take full ownership of your work and the process. Your work should reflect your ability to fuse the analytical with the creative and should celebrate simplifying the complex. You appreciate Lean UX; you know when to sketch, when to create wireframes, when to prototype, and how to collaborate. You take pride in your craft and enjoy making useful experiences that delight and inform. You are passionate about creating engaging and responsive designs, and can communicate clearly about what makes a product successful. We are looking for someone who keeps current with new and emerging digital trends, but who can also balance hot technologies with usability and stability. The selected candidate must be skilled at conducting creative discovery sessions with stakeholders, work with developers to create implementable sites, and have the confidence and poise to deliver final design presentations to executive-level employees. The ideal candidate will also share the values and mission of the organization.
- Work with internal clients to create design concepts for new sites and site redesigns.
- Gather requirements and develop wireframes, mockups, and/or prototypes for site designs, execute mockups as code, and maintain the style and design of the site throughout its life.
- Create and code HTML and CSS for site designs, with special attention to making sites responsive on all screen sizes and modern devices.
- Work with web developers to troubleshoot visual and display issues and help provide design improvements to front-end and back-end elements.
- Make iterative design improvements and bug fixes on live sites.
- Create stand-alone page designs and layouts for special pages or events, or for HTML email designs.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Minimum 2-3 years of professional web design experience, using web standards:
- SVG/Vector-based graphics
- Strong proficiency with responsive and mobile-first design techniques.
- Ability to move quickly between projects—we support multiple websites and often have to switch context based on external schedules.
- Experience working with a small team in an agile, iterative environment.
- Highly organized with the ability to analyze requests to find unidentified requirements.
- A strong, impressive portfolio of graphic and web design work demonstrating IA/UX principles, including responsive and mobile-first design.
- Experience and proficiency with designing for and working with WordPress or other content management systems/frameworks.
- Excellent skills and proficiency with Adobe CS/CC design tools.
- Strong understanding of and experience with traditional design principles and concepts.
Highly desirable, but not required:
- Familiarity and experience working in an agile workflow environment.
- Experience and proficiency with:
- Git or comparable version control system
- SASS/Compass or comparable preprocessors
- Designing for eBooks and various e-readers
- Mobile app or mobile web design/development
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.