Reports to: Vice President, Editorial
Department: Art and Editorial
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Assistant Editor. The Assistant Editor will be primarily a copyeditor for American Progress, helping assure the quality of publications ranging from research reports to daily columns. Working in a fast-paced, journalistic environment as part of the Editorial team, the Assistant Editor will also work on daily production of the website.
- Copyedit American Progress’ reports, briefs, and columns for both print and web.
- Copyedit AmericanProgress.org and other American Progress websites on a daily basis.
- Post content and make updates to AmericanProgress.org and other American Progress websites.
- Maintain the style guide and its grammatical and style standards.
- Maintain accuracy and overall quality of publications.
- Write headlines, briefs, and photo captions.
- Work on the conception and execution of special websites and projects.
- Provide operational support to the Art and Editorial team, including scheduling meetings, processing and filing forms, managing pipelines, tracking invoices and payments, and providing other administrative support to assist with the management of the team when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- One to three years of editing experience with an online component a plus. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Excellent editing skills, including a particular attention to detail and accuracy.
- Familiarity with AP or Chicago style guides.
- Strong ability to work under time pressure and to work independently.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills and problem-solving capabilities.
- Experience with HTML, XML, and CSS a plus.
- Experience with WordPress and Photoshop a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com. Or you may write to: Center for American Progress 1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.