Vice President, Education Policy
Reports to: Executive Vice President, Policy
Department: Education Policy
Staff reporting to this position: Education Policy team
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
The Education Policy team at American Progress is devoted to generating pragmatic and progressive new policy ideas to advance education reform in the United States. Our work focuses on several priority areas, including promoting college- and career-ready standards and assessments; recruiting, supporting, and retaining effective teachers and principals; fiscal equity; and exploring school-improvement strategies for high-poverty schools, including expanded learning time and community schools. The Vice President for Education Policy will lead a dynamic team to assist in deepening our education policy work.
- Provide day-to-day management of the Education Policy team, including senior fellows, directors, research staff, and assistants.
- Develop new education policy ideas.
- Work with the policy teams, along with the Executive team and other senior CAP officials, to set the strategic direction of the Education Policy team.
- Maintain relationships between the Education Policy team and other CAP and CAPAF teams, including the Executive, Government Affairs, Communications, Development, and Administrative teams.
- Develop and maintain relationships with funders that support the Education Policy team’s programs.
- Represent American Progress’s Education Policy team to policy decision makers, the public, the media, and other outside groups and individuals as necessary.
- Promote American Progress’s education policy priorities and work products both inside and outside the organization.
- Assist team members in crafting and timing policy reports and rapid-response documents in a manner that makes them more likely to be relevant to the education policy debate.
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to education policy debates in Congress and/or the administration and respond to requests for information from executive and other senior staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in training and experience.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in education policy or other relevant fields.
- Experience managing a team.
- Demonstrated excellence in research, writing, and analytic ability.
- Excellent research, analytical, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated and detailed knowledge and understanding of education reform, including federal education programs and policy.
- Demonstrated ability to develop new policy ideas that promote educational opportunity.
- Comfort with working under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work on a team.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.