Reports to: President; Chief of Staff
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Speechwriter/Researcher who will work with the organization’s Executive and Communications departments to write speeches, statements, presentations, talking points, briefings, and other miscellaneous copy for American Progress’s executive staff.
The Speechwriter/Researcher will also be responsible for staying up to date on all of the organization’s policy initiatives and strategic objectives in order to communicate them most effectively in all written materials. In addition to being a strong writer and editor, the most qualified applicants must also be able to pay specific attention to the tone and argumentative structure of the executives for whom they are writing.
- Write and edit for the President and Executive Committee.
- Produce assignments including but not limited to speeches, statements, presentations, talking points, briefings, and assistance on major American Progress products as determined by the President, Executive Committee, and Communications department.
- Work in close collaboration with American Progress’s policy, Communications, and External Affairs departments.
- Stay abreast of the organization’s policy initiatives and strategic objectives.
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills.
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment and complete writing assignments on tight deadlines.
- Attributes of a team player.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong time-management skills and the capacity to juggle competing priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three years research and writing experience.
- Nonprofit experience a plus.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations a plus.
- Strong commitment to advancing American Progress’s mission.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.