Middle-Out Research Assistant
Reports to: Director of the Middle-Out Project
Department: Economic Policy; Communications
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Research Assistant who will work to advance middle-out economic policies through research, analysis, and campaign support. The job will entail data analysis; conducting literature reviews; writing reports, columns, and blog posts; and engaging with other researchers and advocates. The ideal candidate will have strong knowledge and interest in economic policy and also be a proven leader in organizing.
- Conduct and support research and analysis, including summarizing public records, digesting information on current events, and producing concise materials.
- Identify opportunities to amplify progressive economic principles at the federal, state, and local level.
- Maintain expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Coordinate state and local media and legislative outreach activities with allied groups.
- Coordinate and plan meetings and events.
- Represent project at coalition meetings and conferences on economic issues.
- Collaborate with the Economic Policy and Communications teams.
- Monitor state and local media (print/television).
- Support the Director of the Middle-Out Project.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong research and writing experience.
- Prior campaign or communications experience.
- Experience working in coalitions.
- Familiarity with ThinkProgress.org, The Progress Report, and the progressive blogosphere.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to quickly respond to news developments.
- Strategic thinker who is able to deliver results in shifting political debates.
- Two to four years of experience in communications, media outreach, organizing, and/or economic policy/policy research. Campaign experience desired, but not required.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.