Director/Associate Director of Tax Policy
Reports to: Vice President, Economic Policy
Department: Economic Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress is a progressive think tank dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through ideas and action. We are creating a long-term, progressive vision for America—a vision that policymakers, thought leaders, and activists can use to shape the national debate and pass laws that make a difference. American Progress seeks a Director of Tax Policy who will direct the Center’s work on tax policy.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Direct the organization’s work on federal tax issues.
- Produce timely and relevant analyses of tax policy issues and legislation, authoring reports, issue briefs, columns, and other materials.
- Speak on behalf of American Progress at external meetings and public events and to the media.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key policymakers and thought leaders outside of the organization.
- Represent American Progress in coalitions and other advocacy efforts.
- Advise senior executives on tax and budget issues.
- Grow expertise on a wide range of tax and budget issues.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Several years of professional experience in and demonstrated knowledge of federal tax issues.
- Excellent analytical and writing ability.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as a team.
- Comfortable working under deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Advanced degree (e.g., law, public policy, or economics) strongly preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of the U.S. corporate income tax code strongly preferred.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission.
The following are not required, but are a plus:
- Federal or state legislative or executive branch experience.
- Experience working for a 501(c)(3) policy organization.
- Experience working with relevant data (IRS Statistics, etc.).
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.