Reports to: Associate Director of Operations
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Nonexempt, full-time
American Progress seeks a Receptionist to staff its primary reception area. The Receptionist will be the first point of contact for all guests. The person in this position will be responsible for a variety of day-to-day tasks, including answering phones, coordinating shipments, and training staff and interns on the phone system. As part of the Administration team, the Receptionist will assist with various administrative functions on an as-needed basis.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Greet and announce guests in a professional and friendly manner.
- Administer all incoming calls and ensure phone calls are redirected accordingly.
- Open and close reception areas.
- Receive incoming faxes, mail, and deliveries and notify recipients.
- Ensure outgoing mail is sent daily.
- Prepare UPS shipping information and coordinate courier requests.
- Serve as the primary contact for conference-room scheduling.
- Train staff and interns on the phone system.
- Ensure newspapers and other publications are received and distributed daily.
- Maintain reception area in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Distribute mail when necessary.
- Manage all organization-wide subscriptions.
- Coordinate the use of conference-call lines, including set-up and billing.
- Provide administrative support to the Administration department on an as-needed basis.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Excellent phone etiquette.
- Professional administrative or internship experience.
- Demonstrated reliability.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office and email applications.
- Good sense of humor and general problem-solving skills.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.