Director, Legal Progress
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Center for American Progress
Staff reporting to this position: Four
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress seeks a highly motivated, creative professional with a legal background to serve as the Director of Legal Progress. Legal Progress is the legal policy and communications program for American Progress. Its mission is to make the American legal system more progressive by educating the public about why the courts matter, highlighting what’s at stake for progressives, and providing a conduit for the public to take action around the courts, particularly around judicial nominations and confirmations.
The Director will direct day-to-day operations for Legal Progress, from setting and implementing strategic plans to managing the Legal Progress staff and working with and directing in-state advocates across the country to work on issues relating to the courts and the law. The core focus of the work is on judicial nominations and the role the courts play in progressive policy issues. Additional areas of responsibility will include developing and implementing new and innovative communications and substantive policy ideas in support of Legal Progress’s work around promoting a progressive vision of the law and the Constitution and around civic participation, primarily focused on progressive allies outside Washington, D.C. This position includes public speaking, media work, and legal research and analysis.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Substantive familiarity with the federal judicial nominations process, key players, and the legal issues that arise in federal courts.
- Established relationships with policymakers, advocates, and community leaders across the progressive landscape, both inside Washington, D.C., and in the states.
- Substantive knowledge of the federal court system and the ability to translate cases and controversies for nonlegal audiences.
- Experience working with and motivating grassroots advocates outside Washington, D.C.
- Excellent written and oral communications and presentation skills.
- Strong political instincts and experience working with coalitions.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic, long-term plans and implement them successfully.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and demonstrated aptitude at being self-sufficient and self-directed.
- J.D. degree.
- Seven plus years of experience in legal policy, campaigns, and/or communications.
- Management experience.
- Fundraising experience desired but not required.
- Campaign experience desired but not required.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.