Senior Graphic Designer
Reports to: Vice President, Editorial, and Art Director
Department: Art and Editorial
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress is looking for a versatile and creative Designer for a senior position with the Art Team. The Designer will work as part of a team that creates reports, infographics, web graphics, advertisements, marketing materials, websites, email designs, interactive media, and video storytelling. He or she will help American Progress communicate progressive ideas and arguments through clear, visually compelling design. The Designer’s primary responsibility is the layout and production of print publications, as well as visuals and design for the web.
- Design, lay out, and produce reports and other publications, often including photos and magazine-style visual techniques.
- Create charts, graphs, and infographics from data, working with report authors.
- Design and lay out occasional book-length products.
- Work with print vendors to produce all printed materials for American Progress and ensure that they arrive on schedule.
- Manage print invoices and work with the Finance department to ensure timely payment to vendors.
- Develop graphics for web and video on an as-needed basis. Manage print and graphic workflow.
- Moderate weekly pitch meetings for design requests.
- Assist with web and email design projects.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in graphic design or a related major, as well as at least five years of professional design experience.
- A strong portfolio of design work.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and attention to detail.
- Highly creative.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- High-level experience with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop in a Mac OS X environment, as well with the Microsoft Office suite.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
Not required, but highly desirable:
Experience and proficiency with:
- Infographic and news design.
- Prepress processes.
- Web design, especially designing with web standards.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.