Research Assistant, Education
Reports to: Vice President for Education Policy and Director of K-12 Education Policy
Department: Domestic Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Research Assistant or Associate. The assistant or associate will work under the direction of the Vice President for Education Policy and the Director of K-12 Education Policy on a variety of education policy issues, and he/she will often support other members of the CAP K-12 education team. The Research Assistant position requires strong analytic and writing abilities, as well as an ability to effectively work with others to provide assistance in the production of original research papers, the coordination of outreach efforts, and the analysis of current and proposed policy.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Support and conduct original research and analysis of education policy issues.
- Research legislative issues as they pertain to education policy issues.
- Proofread and edit documents.
- Assist in the coordination and planning of meetings and events.
- Draft articles, papers, charts, tables, and graphs of economic data.
- Prepare and analyze education data sets.
- Maintain expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Ability to understand education issues and to communicate them effectively.
- Ability to work well within a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfort working under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Ability to multitask.
- Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, public policy, or related field, and at least two years of professional experience and/or advanced degree required.
- Knowledge of education politics.
- Nonprofit, both 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4), experience a plus.
- Advanced data/statistical analysis skills a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’s mission and goals required.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.