Online Organizing Associate, Generation Progress
Reports to: Communications Manager, Generation Progress
Department: Generation Progress
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Online Organizing Associate for Generation Progress to assist with Generation Progress's online organizing efforts and social media outreach. This position requires managing a large workflow of projects efficiently. Applicants should enjoy detail-oriented work and troubleshooting. The position will have a core set of responsibilities with the opportunity to pursue projects tailored to the individual's interests and areas of expertise. Generation Progress is American Progress’s dynamic effort to help young people make their voices heard on key issues and to empower new generations of progressive leaders. Generation Progress engages in policy, advocacy, and communications on issues including affordable education, LGBT rights, immigration reform, climate change, and voting rights.
- Online actions: Coordinate and oversee online campaigns that include website content, targeted action emails, and Facebook, Twitter, and other social media outreach; set goals and metrics for outreach and evaluate effectiveness; and administer online actions using DemocracyInAction’s Salsa and/or Eloqua.
- Online advocacy: Work with Generation Progress and the American Progress team to create and maintain campaign-specific websites that promote policy changes and build grassroots databases. Assist with the development and implementation of web-advocacy strategy for Generation Progress.
- GenerationProgress.org: Participate frequently in the editorial work of Generation Progress.org—writing, assigning, developing, and editing reported and opinion pieces, including pieces highlighting the work and achievements of members of the Generation Progress Journalism Network.
- Education and trainings: Provide assistance and advice regarding web development to student editors of Generation Progress-supported publications.
- Knowledge of and/or desire to learn platforms including Salsa and social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, and others.
- Knowledge of, and creative vision for, online engagement and advocacy practices; a strong marketing sense and ability to effectively understand how to engage users.
- Strong writing ability and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Experience working with nonprofit advocacy or with campaigns is desirable but not required.
- Commitment to Generation Progress’s mission and goals.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least one year of professional online organizing experience or related degree.
- Experience developing and executing online advocacy, email, or social media outreach plans.
You must send three to five samples of your work—online campaign plans or other products—with your resume and cover letter.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.