Information Security and Systems Engineer
Reports to: Director, Technical Operations and Information Security
Department: Technology, Operations
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Microsoft system administrator/network operations specialist capable of operating in a demanding environment, learning on the fly. Applicants must be individuals following the latest developments in technology in areas such as information security, virtualization, cloud base services, and web hosting.
- Security and operations support for web technology and information technology groups, focusing on the Network and Microsoft portions of American Progress’s infrastructure.
- Involvement in design and development of American Progress’s network and Microsoft infrastructure.
- Maintaining documentation for systems and procedures under area of responsibility.
- Strong communications skills: Applicant must be able to communicate in a professional manner in person, on the phone, and in written correspondence.
- Strong technical writing and drawing skills: Must have experience maintaining documentation using a variety of tools.
- Strong skills with Microsoft server and desktop platforms: Applicant must be familiar with the cutting edge of Microsoft’s product suite.
- Basic Linux skills: Proficiency with sh/bash scripting, and preferably perl and/or python. Capable of using security tools such as the Backtrack suite.
- Experience with “The Cloud”: Salesforce, Microsoft Active Directory Federated Services, and Amazon AWS preferred.
- Experience with virtual machines and network storage: VMWare, Citrix preferred.
- Experience with enterprise IP routing: JunOS and IOS. Experience with multi-homed/multi-pop networks using BGP preferred.
- Experience with enterprise WiFi implementations: Xirrus preferred.
- Experience with Security Gateways/Firewalls: Juniper/Netscreen and PaloAlto preferred. Must be capable of managing a security policy with 15+ security zones and complex inter-zone policies.
- Experience with VPNs: IPSec site-to-site and road warrior SSL-VPN.
- Experience with IDS/IPS technology: Snort, Bro, et cetera.
- Experience with SIEM: LogRhythm preferred. Must be able to leverage SIEM for both security and operations support.
- Experience with Microsoft SCOM and SCCM: Must be able to deploy software with SCCM and utilize SCOM for monitoring and alerting.
- Experience with Vulnerability Management: Nessus, Rapid7 NeXpose preferred.
- Experience with advanced endpoint security: Application whitelisting solutions such as Bit9 Parity Suite preferred.
- Must be able to conduct network analysis/forensics using a variety of tools such as Wireshark, Netwitness Investigator, tcpdump, and Lancope.
- Undergraduate degree in information assurance, information systems or equivalent experience.
- Certified Microsoft administrator.
- At least four years relevant work experience.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.