Senior Field Researcher—Juba
Reports to: Research Director
Department: Enough Project
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
Enough, a project of American Progress, has an immediate opening for a full-time Senior Field Researcher to track and analyze developments related to the ongoing conflicts in Sudan and South Sudan. The Senior Field Researcher will be based in South Sudan and will provide research and analysis on the political and security situation there and on conditions relating to the situation in Sudan and South Sudan. He/she will provide analysis to corroborate and contextualize information obtained through the Satellite Sentinel Project and other sources of information. The Senior Field Researcher will provide input on policy recommendations and advocacy as led by the team at Enough’s headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Note: This position was initially advertised as a short-term consultancy. Enough is now seeking a full-time staff member, with benefits, to fill this role permanently. Salary is negotiable, commensurate to experience.
- Conduct field research, provide analysis, and propose policy initiatives for the relevant actors to help prevent crimes against humanity in Sudan and South Sudan.
- Travel to remote areas to corroborate field reports and information obtained through satellite imagery and provide written reports on the implications of political, security, and humanitarian developments in Sudan and South Sudan, as well as the policy implications of these developments.
- Cultivate a broad network of contacts—including government officials, security forces, diplomats, aid workers, and civil society representatives—to inform Enough’s analysis.
- Draft reports, field dispatches, and other policy document briefings on a regular basis, drawing from relevant research findings and policy recommendations.
- Provide input on a variety of products—including reports, op-eds, and articles—pertaining to the crisis in Sudan and South Sudan.
- Help facilitate field travel for Enough’s D.C.-based staff and assist media trips as needed.
- Contribute regular content to the Enough blog that is dynamic, original, thoroughly grounded in policy expertise, and accessible to a broad audience.
- Contribute other content to Enough’s website, Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram accounts including photos, podcasts, audio clips, and other appropriate media.
- Experience conducting field research in Sudan, with a minimum of five years of field experience in the region.
- Experience conducting political and security analysis.
- In-depth knowledge of and extensive contacts with government and nongovernmental officials, journalists, and academics working in the region.
- Academic background or work experience in human rights, prevention of atrocities, conflict prevention and resolution, and responsibility to protect.
- Strong writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Adept team player with good interpersonal skills.
- Committed to the organization’s missions and goals.
- University degree (master’s preferred) and relevant work experience conducting research in international relations, political science, or a related field.
- Good understanding of the policymaking process and the link between activism and policy.
- Strong desire to live and work overseas in war-affected environments.
- Terms dependent on experience; competitive benefits package.
If interested, please send your Word resume and cover letter as email attachments to email@example.com, with Enough Project Senior Field Researcher – Juba as the subject line.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org.
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize our progressive agenda: The Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name "American Progress." The Center for American Progress is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.